How can we improve Design Master?

Export to eQuest or DOE2.2

Be able to export building load information to eQuest or DOE2.2 using gbXML for energy modeling purposes, such as ASHRAE 90.1, LEED, and Title 24.

29 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminDavid Robison (President, Design Master Software) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a HUGE benefit.

On the residential side, I can perform a load calc in RHVAC Software, export a *.txt file of the data, save as an *.enb file, and import into EnergyGauge USA (Florida's energy calc software for residential projects). Aside from a few additional inputs, the energy calc is complete.

To reiterate what Brody said below, now I am entering the same information into the EnergyGauge Summit (Florida's energy software for commercial projects) that I just entered into DesignMaster.

• AdminDavid Robison (President, Design Master Software) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Comment from Brody on a different idea I merged into this one:

Anybody who uses your product to engineer building systems currently has to build a parallel model of the building for energy code compliance documentation generation purposes. Y'all already have a lot of the input categories and types a DOE2.2 input file would require in your BIM. Finding some kind of common currency with other BIM software for easy compatibility is tough in some cases, but here you can straight-up use the DOE2.2 input file format.

I'd wager good money that you'd need more manpower to get a feature set this big done, but it conceptually dovetails so neatly and captures a neighboring market populated by customers you already have - it might be worth it, perhaps as an add-on package? Maybe you partner with another company that's already writing a pretty front-end to DOE2.2? Bottom line is: having DM be able to do full ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G/LEED Title-24 equivalent calculations and spit out meaningful papers would be a *gigantic* value-add.

• Chill Mode commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a useful tool for getting building geometry into various energy modeling programs after load calcs are complete.

Feedback and Knowledge Base